There are some things that a blogger cooks that are so unassuming and simple that you don’t want to write long stories around them and about them. You just want to present them as they are and hope that the readers understand the reason why you have posted this dish and not something fancy and good looking.
This Patta Gobi (Cabbage) and aloo (Potato) sabzi is one such dish. It is not a dinner party dish that your guests will crave for. But it is tasty and cooks well and fast especially after a long day at work. The best thing about it is that you can use it to stuff in bread and toast some sandwiches.
I love eating this with some hot Ghee laden Rotis and plain dal or just make wraps with Rotis with this as the filling. Hope you enjoy making this.
Here is the recipe: (Cooking time 25 minutes, serves 2 – 4 people)
3 cups Shredded cabbage
2 small Potatoes chopped into small pieces (the reason why we chop the Potatoes into small pieces is so they cook fast)
½ cup Green Peas
1 tsp Turmeric Powders
1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
4 – 5 Curry Leaves
1 tsp Mustard seed
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 – 3 Chopped Green Chillies
1 tbsp Urad dal (optional)
1 tsp Asafoetida (hing)
1) Boil the Potatoes in Water till almost cooked. As we have chopped the Potatoes I put them in a bowl full of water and just boil them in the microwave. Drain the water and keep it aside.
2) Heat oil in a pan add the Mustard seeds and Curry leaves. Once they start to splutter add the Urad dal and Asafoetida and let them cook on a medium flame for 2 – 3 minutes making sure the dal doesn’t burn.
3) Add the Potatoes and fry them a little before adding the Turmeric powder.
4) Add the shredded and washed Cabbage, Green chillies & Green Peas, mixing everything well. Cook on a medium flame for 10 – 15 minutes without covering. The Cabbage will release a lot of water which needs to evaporate or you will have a slush on your hands.
5) Try not to overcook the Cabbage and ensure there is a little bite. Turn the gas off and add the Salt and Pepper. Serve hot with Rotis.