A few moons ago I did a post of the delicious “Hassle back Potatoes” which was a very fancy Swedish way of Baking Potatoes. Now I am not a very fancy girl, even though I do fancy sometimes. I am a desi girl at heart and cook a lot of desi food at home.
So obviously I have to also do an Indian version of the “Hassle back” using desi spices. And I must say this that I do a fabulous one at that. I have grown up eating this version in Ulhasnagar where it is called “Aloo Took”, which means twice fried Potatoes. This guilty delicious carb laden goodness is my go to Side dish when I have nothing else to cook.
But I don’t fry the Potatoes I boil them in hot water and then bake them. They taste exactly the same but atleast I don’t feel terrible about making them often. I serve them with different types of Dals and even hot Pulao.
I also don’t follow any measurements for the masalas I add in this recipe as I just use my Judgement depending on our taste; however I have jotted down the approximate quantities of spices I use. I would still recommend adjusting the quantity as per your taste. If you feel that the Potatoes have turned out to be too spicy, just sprinkle some Lemon juice on them before serving.
Recipe (Cooking time 30 minutes)
4 – 5 medium Potatoes
1 tsp Red Chilli powder
½ tsp Tumeric powder
½ tsp Coriander powder
½ tsp Dry Mango powder (Amchur)
½ tsp Cumin Powder
Salt as per taste
1 tbsp Vegetable oil
1) Wash the Potatoes and slice each Potato in 2. I do not remove the skin as it tastes delicious when it is crispy.
2) Slit the Potatoes in criss cross fashion ensuring that you do not cut them completely. When baked the insertion in the Potatoes will open up.
3) Put the Potatoes in a bowl full of cold water with a little Salt and boil them for 10 – 15 minutes till almost half cooked.
4) Drain the water and wipe the Potates with a kitchen tower till they are dry.
5) Preheat your oven at 180 degrees C and lay the Potatoes on the baking tray, the side with the insertion facing upwards.
6) Mix all the masalas except the Oil in a bowl and sprinkle them all together on the Potatoes.
7) Now add the Vegetable oil straight on the Potatoes and gently massage them ensuring the masala and the oil is coated really well on all of them equally.
8) Bake them in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes till they are nice and crispy.